Thursday, June 28, 2007

"The wise woman builds her house.."

"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down." Proverbs 14:1

This proverb really speaks to me. No one wants to be a fool. Many times we delude ourselves into thinking we don't behave foolishly when in actuality we are doing just that. I can think of a million reasons why I should lounge on the couch and read a library book all day, but does that make it wise? Of course not!

What is one way that a wise woman builds her house? By being diligent in the care of her family and her home! How does a foolish woman tear her house down with her own hands? By pursuing a life of empty indulgence. I was a foolish woman for many years. I hated cleaning the house and had excuses for reading or working on crafts instead of doing the dishes and sweeping the floor. I was constantly wanting to go out and window shop or visit friends because I could not stand the condition that my home was in and did not want to take responsibility for it. Imagine how my husband felt! He was not responsible for the piles of clutter and yet he was surrounded by it.
I can't tell you when I started "wise-ing up." It is still an ongoing process. I CAN tell you that the stress level in my home has gone down dramatically. The clutter we were surrounded with actually affected my behavior. It made me depressed and moody. I am sure it stressed out my husband, who is naturally neat and organized. Do you know I think the clutter actually contributed to many of the spats we had earlier in our marriage?

I read about a theory called The Broken Window Theory which goes like this:
Police departments have discovered that neighborhood environments go quickly downhill. It can start with something as simple as a broken window in one house or a yard gone to seed. For some reason, when things don't look right at one spot, it discourages others from keeping their home looking nice. Eventually, all the houses get into disrepair. This can actually affect the crime rate in the neighborhood!

The same thing happens inside our homes. Have you noticed how the pile of clutter left on a chair in the living room can mushroom into total chaos? It is because that little pile gives everyone silent permission to make their own piles! :o) If no one else cares about the mess, then why should they? Right? My goal is to have no piles of clutter laying around waiting to multiply.
Part of being a Christian is practicing hospitality. I used to be great at this when I had a week's notice. :o) Now my goal is to keep my house in order so much so that unexpected guests are no longer a stress but a joy. I have a friend who says, "If you are coming to see me, come on. If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment!"

Father, please help me be a wise woman. Prompt me when I need a reminder of the foolish woman. Keep my hands from idleness. I know that by Your power, I can say "If you are coming to see me, OR MY HOUSE, come right on in! " Amen.

No comments: