Saturday, June 30, 2007

Adoniram Judson's Rules for Life

(Question: if we had a list of rules for life, what would they be?--J.M.)

1. Be diligent in prayer, every morning and evening.

2. Never spend a moment in mere idleness.

3. Restrain natural appetites within the bounds of temperance and purity.

4. Suppress every emotion of anger or ill will.

5. Undertake nothing from motives of ambition or love of fame (selfishness).

6. Never do that which at the moment appears to be displeasing to God.

7. Seek opportunities of making some sacrifice for the good of others.

8. Endeavor to rejoice in every loss and suffering for Christ’s sake, remembering that though, like death, they are not to be willfully incurred yet, like death, they are of great gain.

For a brief biography about this great Baptist missionary to Burma: http://www.wholesomewords.org/missions/bjudson1.html

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Oooo...very good things to remember Jana! I may have to print that out and tape it to my cabinet of inspiration in the kitchen :)
Is it okay though to suppress emotions though? I do that quite often just because I don't open up very easily and sometimes these emotions get so filling that I either get angry, start crying, or both...LOL.
Writing in my journal helps alot of that though :) And of course prayer!

Wanna check out a great blog that you will love??? Check out this one: http://proverbs14verse1.blogspot.com

There is just so much gems on that page and it will leave you walking away striving to be a better Godly Christian woman! :)

Take care.

Jana M. said...

Dawn,

Thanks for visiting! I am really new to the blogging thing and am still working the kinks out. :o)
As for suppressing emotions. I think it depends on the reason for the emotion. Judson was stating that one should always suppress feelings of anger and ill-will. Anger and ill-will should be suppressed because these are, with the rare exception of righteous anger, sins and spring from selfishness. Expressing emotion is not the issue. The heart, as usual, is the issue. :o)

Journaling is a great tool. When I was in college I kept a prayer journal. I am in the process of starting another one. It helps me focus my prayers.

Blessings! Jana M <><
(I am on my way to check out that other blog.)