Thursday, July 26, 2007

School days

It is getting to be the time of year where homeschooling moms everywhere start preparing for the coming school year. I have gotten my planner and have been plotting out the fall and winter portions of our homeschool. We do cross categorical thematic units and so there is a lot of planning up front, but it is also a lot of fun!

I have found some neat additions to our homeschool this year. I found a great article on Calendar Math. When Sam was in school, he loved Calendar time! I have already purchased our calendar blank and he has been carrying it around singing, "Sunday and a Monday, Tuesday and a Wednesday, Thursday and a Friday, and then there's Saturday. Days of the week (ch-ch)! Days of the week (ch-ch)! Days of the week, days of the week, days of the week (ch-ch)!" :o) I plan on utilizing our calendar for some serious math and science learning and also for adding a sense of routine to our day.

Here are some of the great websites for thematic unit inspiration and teaching tips:

*~> The Virtual Vine <~*
K-2 Thematic Units
Welcome to Mrs. Nelson's Class

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea with the calendar. My oldest goes to school but I am keeping the 3 1/2 year old at home and plan to home school him. This is my first take at it so I'm a bit frightened and excited all at the same time.

Thank you for the great information.

Bless you Sister,

Christine