Friday, September 28, 2007

Making Memories and Banking on the Future

Over the last week, with Caleb being sick, I have spent quite a few hours reading. Reading aloud to Caleb while he is resting has given us some really sweet times together. One of the best books we read this week was The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt. Caleb and I laughed out loud several times while reading this book together. I absolutely love good juvenile fiction. I make a point of reading whatever my son is reading and also to, sort of, direct his reading by making selections for him when I am at the library. It is just another way to make memories together and also gives us things to talk about and share.

Caleb is getting to the age, he is 11, where children begin to break away from their parents. I know that this is normal, but I hope that, somehow, by making a habit of sharing things NOW, it will seem normal to continue in this manner LATER.

On that note, we were spending an afternoon together just window shopping, a few weeks ago and he said, "I love getting to spend time just with you, Mom!" I said, "I enjoy it so much, too. Do you think when you are 15 you will still want to spend time with your old Mom?" He said he was pretty sure he would because we have so much fun together. I certainly hope he will want to spend time with me, then. I am doing everything that I can to make sure that he does, now!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I myself have 2 small boys and already the 6 year old seems uninterested in my kisses and hugs. I know he loves me but they need their space and independance.

I have a hard time with this and this is why I struggle over homeschooling or sending them to a private Christian school.

Your children will hold these memories deep within them when they are older and reflect.

God Bless

Dawn said...

Aww such a sweet boy. I pray he doesn't stray away too far from you as he gets older. :) Pre teens and teenagers do need a good amount of space to learn and grow on their own, but not enough to forget about the life lessons from mom and dad :)

Bless You!

Patty said...

the relationships we have with our children may change for a time when they are finding their own convictions, their own steps to adulthood, but when the foundation is strong, they never stop wanting to spend time with us. My children are all grown now and married. Not one day passes that they don't call me, just to talk to mom

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

The best way to spend your afternoon--with your precious little son.

Many blessings...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jana

You may be interested in my blogs

http://marriage-bliss.blogspot.com and

http://virtuous-husband.blogspot.com

I would love you to contribute comments.

Bless you

AKM